Monday, May 23, 2011

Torchy's: A less fussy (and more delicious) Fuzzy's.

With Fuzzy’s Taco Shops becoming as available as a Starbucks in the metroplex, we took a few friends’ advice to try something different and headed to Torchy’s Tacos. Originally an Austin staple, it has finally opened a location in North Dallas at Preston and Forest. We headed over to try the tacos and see how they measured up on the recent craze for gourmet tacos.

The restaurant is setup in a fast casual atmosphere with a user friendly menu and a lot of appealing, $3-5, wallet friendly options. For starters we had a bowl of queso with chips, which was one of the most delicious bowls of queso I have ever had, especially for fast casual. It was complete with queso fresco, green chilies, guacamole and cilantro. When planning your meal, make sure you save enough room for the queso to start.

I ordered the “Green Chile Pork” taco with slow roasted carnitas with green chilies, queso fresco, cilantro and lime. The taco was flavorful but yet not overdone with sauces or anything to distract from the flavor of the pork and green chilies. Sara and Diana tried the “Trailer Park” complete with fried chicken, green chilies, lettuce, pico with poblano sauce.  Order it “trashy” and they will take off the lettuce and add queso (yum!). Sara also had the “Crossroads” that included smoked brisket, grilled onions, jalapenos, cilantro, jack cheese and avocado. Everyone enjoyed their food and raved that we would all become regulars.

There are other items on the menu that I am excited to go back and try; the “Mr. Pink” seared tuna taco that I have heard great things about as well as the “Fried Avocado” taco that sounds like heaven on Earth.  Overall, my experience at Torchy’s was very pleasant and would highly recommend checking it out. It is cheap, a taco and splitting queso filled me up perfectly, and it is fast. In my opinion, and Sara and Diana’s, it is much better than Fuzzy’s. My only complaint about Torchy’s is the fact that they do not serve alcohol. I couldn’t help but think how delicious my green chile pork would have been with an ice cold Negra Modela. I hope to see more Torchy’s coming to the Dallas area; however I will happily make the short drive over to Preston/Forest to have a delicious taco anytime.

Torchy's website

No comments:

Post a Comment