Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Keep on Truckin'


The other day, when I was stopping by my local Walgreens to pick up a Red Box flick, I saw something so distractingly glorious that I nearly took out a pedestrian (Hey – don’t drop your groceries in the entranceway!). A food truck…in Addison. It was a Twilight Zone moment. We’ve all had our food truck adventures in say Austin, or Fort Worth, or Denton, or even just south of 635, but now it seems the food truck revolution has expanded into less obvious (but equally as deserving) neighborhoods.



I immediately parked my car and walked over toward the truck in an alien tractor beam type state. It was a Korean taco truck called SsahmBBQ. I honestly wouldn’t have cared what they were peddling (as I am of the school that if it comes out of a truck it must taste better). I needed to try it! I ordered 3 tacos – 1 beef, 1 pork and 1 chicken (don’t worry, I shared). The tacos came with sesame soy vinaigrette salad, caramelized kimchee, cilantro, onion and 2 corn tortillas. The tacos were a great mix of cultures and flavors, without any one component being overpowered. My pick was the chicken, Ben’s was the pork – although all were good (the beef is actually short rib, yumm).



While SsahmBBQ was very tasty and I do recommend it, I want to focus more on the momentum of the food truck revolution in Dallas. I am sure by now we have all heard of the trailer park that is in the works, which is cool and all, but I long for the day when we can roll out of a bar at any time or just run outside from work during lunch and pick up any variety of tasty cuisine from local entrepreneurs. If you own a food truck, we want to see more of you! If you have a favorite truck, give them ideas on great locations. Let’s band together and keep on truckin’, Dallas!


No comments:

Post a Comment