Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Authentic Philly Cheesesteaks in Texas? Yes, please.

I have never been to Philadelphia, so I would definitely caution that I am no cheesesteak connoisseur.  However, in college sometimes nothing sounded better after a rowdy night than a big, cheesy, greasy cheesesteak from Texadelphia. Sara is also a huge fan of Texadelphia and typically chooses to go there when she is in the mood for a cheesesteak. Now, Texadelphia is always pretty good, but I know it is a far cry from a real “authentic” cheesesteak. 
My dad is one of my favorite foodie leads, since he is always traveling around the metroplex for work and trying whatever random place he can find. He told me about a place called Fred’s Downtown Philly Cheesesteaks in Carrollton near my parent’s house. I put it on our foodie list, but it was not until I saw the original location in Plano spotlighted on “Foodies DFW” that I thought we should really check it out.  The feature mentioned that Fred is originally from Philadelphia and is really true to the authenticity of his steaks. It also mentioned that he even gets the bread sent down from Philadelphia.

We went to the Fred’s in Carrollton on a quest to see how the sandwiches held up. Fred’s is small, the air conditioner was hardly operating and Sara looked around thinking “where the heck did you bring me?” However, we continued forward with our adventure. I ordered the Mushroom Cheesesteak with steak, mushrooms, onions and cheese. Sara ordered the Broadstreet Cheesesteak with steak, jalapenos, onions, peppers, mushrooms and cheese. Both of our sandwiches were around $5.  There are regular and large size options, depending on how hungry you are. I also noted some authentic “Utz” chips from Philly, which are crab flavored. Say what? Something in me wanted to try them, but I did not.  If you have tried these bad boys out, please leave a comment as I am highly intrigued.

Sara and I sat down and waited for our cheesy goodness to be prepared. Sara was a little put off on the “shady” aspect of the location and the fact that you could see into the kitchen from our seats. However, shortly after, both sandwiches came out hot, fresh and looked delicious. The sandwiches were just as they looked, incredibly tasty. The amount of food was perfect; we were extremely satisfied but not overly full. I could tell that these were much more like the authentic style of cheesesteaks than I had been accustomed to, yet I was not let down. The steak was well seasoned, thin and juicy while the cheese was gooey and not overpowering.  I also really liked the bread that they used and it did not get soggy.

Fred’s is the perfect place to grab a quick bite for lunch or a fast dinner. It is quick and cheap and there are several locations in the metroplex. I am excited to go back and try another sandwich or even check out the chicken cheesesteak. Maybe this time I will be in a more adventurous mood and even order some crab chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment