Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Keep on Food Truckin': Gandolfo's New York Deli

Sara told me about a food truck that we needed to check out called Gandolfo's New York Deli, which serves deli sandwiches in different locations in Dallas. We both decided to "like" them on Facebook so we could see where they were each day. Looking at their posts, it seems as though they spend most of their time in the Arts District and Downtown areas of Dallas.Much to my surprise and excitement, one day I logged on and saw that they were coming to Lewisville for lunch (where I work). I recruited my co worker Jeff, a self-proclaimed Reuben connoisseurof sorts, and we headed out to get some food on wheels.


We got to the food truck location at a business parking lot off Corporate and I-35 and waited in a short line for our sandwiches. They had a lot of options including Hot and Cold choices depending on your taste. They also had options for half size sandwiches that are smaller (and cheaper) than the full size. We quickly browsed the menu and decided on what to order. It took only a few minutes and our sandwiches were handed to us through the mobile kitchen's window.



I ordered the half size of the "New Yorker" that came on a hoagie with roast beef, banana peppers, onions, tomatoes, feta cheese and oil and vinegar. It comes with mayo as well, but I am not a fan so opted out. The sandwich was absolutely delicious. Even though we had a picnic in the car because it was over 100 out, I still ate every bite of the hot sandwich. The hoagie roll wasn't too tough, the roast beef was tender and the combination of the banana peppers with the feta cheese really made the sandwich unique and interesting. When I go back, it will be hard for me to make a choice to try something else.


Jeff had the full size of the Reuben Sandwich and got it with the classic "Russian dressing" instead of spicy mustard. Having eaten some pretty good Reubens in his day, at first he was skeptical of how the sandwich from a truck would hold up. He ate the whole sandwich and praised how much meat they put on their Reuben. His only complaint was that there wasn't as much sauerkraut as he would have cared for in the sandwich. Overall, he said it was a really good sandwich and would be glad to go back with me when they come back to Lewisville. Sara actually went to the food truck the next day in Downtown Dallas and had half a Reuben as well and gave me great feedback, especially how full she was!

I am so excited that we are seeing more and more food trucks in Dallas and I can't wait to find new ones as well as go back to Gandolfo's! Follow them on Facebook to see when they will be by you, and go grab yourself a sandwich. I honestly believe food just tastes better from a truck!



No comments:

Post a Comment