Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Shinsei - KRLD Restaurant Week


For KRLD Restaurant Week, Haley and I thought long and hard about what new and adventurous foodie experience we wanted to have. Clearly, the ones that fill up in 24 hours (such as Abacus) were off the table, but we had always wanted to try Shinsei, especially after hearing so many local chef-lebrities speak so highly of it. We secured a reservation and immediately started stalking the internet for the RW menu. We always like to coordinate our courses and love checking out menus ahead of time.

We arrived and were greeted by our funny and quirky waitress. We perused the normal menu just to see what else we might be missing and I will say some of those sushi rolls looked awesome! For our first course, I had the Elvis’ Tuna Tartare (they have a sushi chef that is totally the Japanese version of Elvis!!) and Haley ordered the Coconut Chicken Jalapeño Poppers with Yellow Curry dipping sauce. My Tuna Tartare was awesome! It came on a bed of rice, on top of crispy wontons. I ate it like nachos. Something about it felt so rich and buttery – I loved it a lot.



Haley’s Coconut Chicken Jalapeño Poppers with Yellow Curry dipping sauce was very good as well. The poppers were wrapped in a Wonton wrapper instead of normal fry batter and the curry sauce was amazing. Haley said she would just drink the dipping sauce and used it as salad dressing on her accompanying mini salad.



For our main courses, I ordered the Seared Snapper with Asian Risotto and Soy-Brown Butter. It was literally the BEST fish dish I have ever had. The sauce was seriously mind blowing. The only disappointment was that this dish is not on the regular menu. What am I going to do?! Ugh, I am still thinking about that meal…



Haley ordered the Dean's Oooey Gooey Chicken with Creamy Scallion Whipped Potatoes. This dish is on the actual menu. Haley said the chicken was good – nothing too thrilling, but the sauce and mashed potatoes were amazing. There was some kind of flavor in the sauce that we couldn’t quite put our finger on but she loved it.



In addition to our RW main courses, we had to take the opportunity to try the fried rice we’ve been hearing so much about. We ordered it as an additional side (as if we didn’t have enough food) and couldn’t wait to see what all the buzz was about. At the time, we totally enjoyed the fried rice but weren’t exactly sure why it was so special. I mean it was great and tasted like it had really fresh, quality ingredients, but it was still fried rice. The next day, however we both confessed that we just couldn’t get that fried rice out of our minds. We think it might be one of those dishes that creeps up on you and becomes something you’ll crave periodically. We get it now!



Lastly, we tried to coordinate our desserts and order two different things, even though we both had our eye on the same one. I ordered the Gingersnap Banana Parfait. I heard our waitress telling someone else that it was the best dessert on the menu so I was preemptively excited. Once I dug in, it was one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. Since I try to avoid gluten, I planned to only have a little of the dessert and avoid the cookies as much as possible. Yeah, right! I basically licked the dish clean. Sometimes, you just have to give in and it was TOTALLY worth it. It has Bruleed bananas, banana pudding, crumbled gingersnaps and more soft bananas at the bottom.



Haley ordered the Lynae's Famous Oatmeal Cookies because who doesn’t love a good oatmeal cookie! She got two and commented that they were lighter and fluffier than the normal dense oatmeal cookies we are used to. Definitely good, just not the best cookies ever. Haley enjoyed them and took one cookie and the leftover fried rice to go for later snacking.



Overall, we both loved Shinsei and want to go back. It’s pretty pricey though, so we may have to wait for a special occasion or a sudden surplus of disposable income. I think Shinsei just made it into my top 3 fine dining Dallas digs. Taste Buds <3 Restaurant Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment