Friday, September 7, 2012

Going Vegan: What in the Sea Nugget?


After eating heavy over Labor Day weekend, we sought out a light and healthy place to eat for our latest adventure. We had noticed a Vegan restaurant that opened up in a random strip center in Addison a few months back, so we decided it would be the perfect healthy adventure to explore. I looked up Loving Hut online before we went and noticed that it is actually an international chain. So, even though we were a bit skeptical, we decided to go for a full out Vegan adventure.

We arrived on a Thursday evening to a pretty empty restaurant. The restaurant is spacious and clean, and we noticed a buffet station that operates during the lunch hours. Sara and I looked over the menu, a bit unsure of what to order after seeing things like “soy protein” and “sea nuggets.” We asked the waitress what she recommended for Sara since she is gluten-free; she suggested a dish with either vegetables or sea nuggets. Sara was a bit hesitant to go for the sea nuggets, so we started out with some unique drinks and browsed the menu a bit longer.

Sara decided on the Shitake Bok Choy, stir-fried mushrooms and bok choy. I ordered the Spicy Cold Noodle, with carrots, cucumber, and tofu. I must admit that the pictures on this restaurant’s menu did not help to settle our skepticism. However, when we received our dishes we were pleasantly surprised to see that they looked much better than on the menu.



My dish came out first, and was a very generous portion. The noodles were tasty and the sauce was delicious, although I should have ordered very spicy instead of medium spicy. The carrots and the cucumbers added a great crunch to the dish, to balance the softness of the noodles and tofu. Overall, I was very pleased with the flavors of my dish.


Sara’s dish came out accompanied with brown rice. Again, the dish looked much better to the eye than on the menu. She stated that it was really good, that the sauce was very flavorful. I snuck a bite, and agreed it was flavor-packed. Sara (admittedly hungry) enjoyed her entire dish.

The great thing about eating at Loving Hut is you can really tell the ingredients are fresh and you don’t feel guilty after you clear your plate. We were very pleased that our skepticism of the menu was put to rest. However, I must mention I brought home a to-go order of Saigon Rolls for my boyfriend and they had sea nuggets in them. I had to find out what they tasted like. All I can say is they look like shrimp, but taste like imitation crab. All in all, Sara and I would be happy to go back to Loving Hut for a light and fresh meal. However, I foresee no sea nuggets in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment